Engage Your Heart | 2-5-23
Each week at Mercyview we enter expecting to meet with God together through the finished work of Jesus and the ministry of the Holy Spirit among us. This weekly post is designed to help those who gather with us on Sundays come into the gathering ready to engage in worship through singing, praying, and hearing in meaningful ways.
We meet at 5p @ Memorial Baptist Church, 2800 S Yale Ave. Our livestream will be available at that time on our website, www.mercyview.com.
Here is how you can engage your heart for worship:
- Read through the provided text and/or consider the topic that will be preached on that Sunday.
- Sing, listen or read through the song lyrics that we’ll be singing together and ask the Lord to deepen your understanding of Him through them. Get to know unknown songs or ask for a fresh view of old ones.
- Pray for the Lord to reveal Himself to you and the gathered church in powerful ways. Pray for those who are serving this week and for the one who is preparing and preaching God’s Word.
Our worship service is organized into four stages that we call Movements. These movements allow us to focus on specific aspects of worshiping God by giving us context and perspective.
Movement One: God is God and We are Not
Call to Worship: A time when we look at Scripture and orient our hearts toward God.
Confession of Sin: A time for us to examine our hearts under the light of God's Word and confess our sins to God.
Assurance of Pardon: A reminder that in Christ all our sins are covered, we are forgiven, and we now walk in newness of life through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Confessing Our Faith: We read a question and answer from The New City Catechism as a way to help us learn and live out what we believe.
Question: What sort of Redeemer is needed to bring us back to God?
Answer: One who is truly human and also truly God.
Movement Two: We Approach God
- All Creatures of Our God and King
- Come Behold the Wondrous Mystery
- This I Believe
Prayer: In response to our time of sung worship, we want to pause before moving into the ministry of the Word and approach God in prayer.
Movement Three: God Instructs Us
Ministry of the Word: Sermon Series - Anthem of Grace // Text: Romans 12:11-12
Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.
- Romans 12:11-12
Movement Four: God Feeds Us
The Lord's Supper: Each week, following the teaching of God's Word, we come to the table and celebrate the finished work of Christ. We remember his death, rejoice in his resurrection, and in the taking of the elements "taste and see that the Lord is good."
Sung Worship: What a Beautiful Name